Safety & Compliance Specialist
Job Purpose: Creating a “safety-first” culture demonstrates our company’s commitment to employee care and the belief that all accidents and injuries are preventable. The purpose of this position is to lead corporate efforts in that reflect these beliefs by executing safetyadvancing tasks, developing enhanced safety-oriented processes, and ensuring compliance with all governing authorities.
Job Summary: This position oversees all company safety initiatives to include safety teams, assisting management in the discharge of their responsibilities for safety, and directly leading/supporting security and disaster preparedness programs. Another important aspect of this position is to ensure companywide compliance with all federal, state, local and corporate regulations. This will require travel to all current and future company locations as needed.
• Interacts (coaching, directing, and teaching) with the entire Dutch Valley Team on a consistent, day-to-day basis to promote an elevated level of safety awareness. This includes facilitating mandatory safety meetings, conducting audits, performing inspections, conducting risk assessments, participating in process hazards reviews, and promptly responding to questions posed by employees, safety teams and management.
• Plans, implements, and conducts preventative care, safety, and compliance training programs for all company locations designed to continually increase proficiency in safe practices throughout the company.
• Provides management team with guidance on health and safety and takes action to ensure compliance with industry, local, state, and federal guidelines, and regulations.
• Leads in loss control and prevention, reporting, investigation, and follow-up, relative to both vehicle accidents, personal injury accidents, property damage, near-miss accidents, and customer incidents involving DV employees and products. Always focusing on the identification and elimination of root causes.
• Serves as primary contact for injury and incident notification, investigation, and case management. This is a 24/7 responsibility that at times, will involve providing communications and support at odd hours of the day and night.
• Facilitates a growing and effective First Aid/CPR response protocol by overseeing trainers, schedules, and response team readiness.
• Maintains logs of safety inspection activities, reports, and correspondence. This would be in both electronic format and print as needed and include safety files and records required by corporate and governmental regulations.
• Initiates, investigates, and follows-through Worker’s Comp claims. This includes follow-up with the insurance carrier, treating physician, management, Human Resources, and the injured worker.
• Initiates and follows-through until completion all insurance claims involving our Transportation Department.
• Obtains Motor Vehicle Records for all Dutch Valley employees that may have an opportunity to operate a company vehicle in accordance with the Fleet/Driver Safety Program.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Education:
• Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Health, Engineering, or related discipline preferred
• Minimum of 8 years of experience in Industrial or Transportation Safety and Compliance work including at least 3 years of management-level experience preferred
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP) – preferred
• Excellent relationship building skills
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
• Able to conduct Risk Assessment and Process Hazards Analysis
• Ability to effectively present information to groups of varying sizes
• Excellent communicator with well-developed written and verbal communication skills
• Working knowledge of OSHA and DOT regulations and compliance
• Self-motivated and disciplined
• First Aid and CPR Certification as a trainer is a plus
• Willingness to further education via seminars or classes
• Competent in use of electronic info systems such as Office 365