R&D and Labeling Manager
The R&D and Labeling Manager creates, implements and updates streamlined policies and procedures that move new and changing ingredients and products through the right channels to completion as expediently as possible. This includes creating benchtop formulations, shelf-life studies, collecting documentation of ingredients, generating label nutrition facts, and conducting plant trials, all to a high level of standards that meet SQF and FDA requirements. This manager leads and guides direct reports to define and attain company goals with expertise and professionalism. The R & D and Labeling Manager is an active member of the HACCP team, engaged in inspections, observation, and training of safe and best practices in food manufacturing, and product development.
- Work with external and internal customers to develop products from concept to commercialization.
- Develop new product formulas, that are food safe and designed specifically to be combined, filled, and packaged on designated DEV equipment, with an emphasis on trend and the needs of our core customers.
- Manage projects in cross-functional settings from startup through implementation.
- Advise, train, supervise and evaluate technicians in product development and labeling functions.
- Support other DEV and DVF teams (Manufacturing, QA, Sales, Marketing, etc.) as requested.
- Support SQF audits by updating SOP’s and other supportive documentation as requested.
- Continually manage, monitor, and advance multiple projects in multiple stages to meet deadlines.
- Create nutritional label information to ensure that it is accurate and correct, with utmost focus on allergen control and food safety.
- Review all nutritional paperwork developed by team and update appropriate fields of the allergenic specification page in JDE as required.
- Optimize formulas and processes for cost effectiveness and quality as directed.
- Participate in HACCP meetings and internal audits as required by the HACCP committee.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Natural Science or Nutrition is preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in R&D/ Product Development in a food manufacturing facility.
- Training or experience in food ingredients, food processing and formulation.
- Experience and knowledge of food safety, food safety initiatives (HACCP, SQF) and FDA labeling regulations (working familiarity with CFR21 100-169).
- Experience in optimizing food formulation & processes to promote efficiency and cost benefits.
- Experience with ESHA Genesis or similar nutritional software desired.
- Capable of being forward-thinking, creative, and flexible, maintaining high ethical standards and a professional image.
- Observant of safety issues and confident to enforce compliance to company guidelines in labs, warehouse, and production areas.
- Able to lead and/or participate effectively as a team-player in cross-functional meetings with all other departments in DEV and DVF.
- Able to read and interpret complex technical documents.
- Able to work in production areas to execute plant trials and assist Manufacturing as needed.
- Able to lift 40 lbs. safely as needed